Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Frozen Food

So I admit, I love having frozen food on hand for days when you want something and you don't want to make a mess or do a lot of dishes. Now that being said, I also like making my own frozen food, and once you start, it's addictive. I was over at a friends place a few weeks ago, and went to put some ice cream in the freezer and noticed she had a ton of homemade frozen dinners. When she told me that she tries to make a big batch of something every weekend, it got me to thinking and remembering how awesome it is to have stuff on hand, especially if you're working late, or you've got to get to dodgeball or something. Tonight I was making meatloaf with mashed potatoes (recipe to come) and decided to make hamburgers and freeze them with some of the beef. Now I have a few more meals ready to go!

So, in the spirit of frozen food, I present one of my favourite frozen foods...french fries! I wish I had a picture of the finished product, but you always end up eating them and forgetting to take the picture!

Frozen French Fries
These can also be prepared and cooked immediately, although I find they bake better from frozen. Make sure to keep your eye on them as they bake!

~ potatoes of any kind, scrubbed
~ olive oil
~ salt

Slice the potatoes lengthwise, and then slice again, making matchsticks. In a pot of boiling water, immerse potatoes, stirring until tender but not cooked through, about 2-3 minutes. With a slotted spoon, take potatoes out and lay in single layer on paper towels, pat to dry. [At this point you can move to the cooking stage if you are not freezing the fries.]


Freeze fries in a single layer on parchment lined cookie sheets. Once frozen store in freezer bags, cook within a month.


To Cook
Toss fries with a couple of tablespoons of oil, and some salt. Place in single layer on baking sheets. Bake in 450 oven for 35-40 minutes, flipping half way through. Make sure to watch them!!!

1 comment:

The Nutritionista said...

You are brilliant!
And adorable :)